Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Blood and Beauty of God

Zechariah 9:11 is beautiful.
As for you also,
because of the blood of my covenant with you,
I will set your prisoners free from the waterless pit.
Is "the waterless pit" Babylon, as Matthew Henry says?  The flames of hell?  Either way, the prisoners are redeemed.  By blood.  By YOUR blood.  You are good.

It was actually Zechariah 9:16-17 that caught my eye first.

On that day
Yahweh their God will save them,
as the flock of His people;
for like the jewels of a crown, 
they shall shine on his land. (16)

The imagery is glorious.  God's people are like jewels in a crown.  US!  Made from DUST!  Thinking about that makes me smile and at the same time makes tears spring to my eyes.  It's SO much more than I deserve.  It is awesome.  I shiver in the dreadful joy of God's love.

Verse 17 continues:
For how great is His goodness, and how great is His beauty! 
Grain shall make the young men flourish,
and new wine the young women.

The last two lines, rather obviously, made me think of the end of Psalm 4.  (It's been well-drilled into my psyche at Titus's!)   But Psalm 4:7 clearly says that YOU are greater joy than grain and new wine.

And I rejoice in Your beauty.  You don't need jewels.  You are glorious in splendour, and I worship.

[12.26.08]

1 comment:

  1. "In the quiet I lament
    Every nail my sin did buy
    And I wonder why you spent
    Lavished blood on such as I..."

    "Lavished blood" - I love that.

    ReplyDelete