Friday, April 3, 2009

[From 12.29.08]

Isn't it strange how now I don't even remember exactly why I left a bookmark in my Bible at Zech 14 for so long that the pages became discoloured?  

I think it was because of these verses:

On that day there shall be no light, cold, or frost.
And there shall be one day, which is known to Yahweh,
neither day nor night, but at evening time there shall be light.
On that day living waters shall flow out from Jerusalem,
half of them to the eastern sea and half of them to the western sea.
And Yahweh will be king over all the earth.
On that day Yahweh will be one and his name one.  [Zech 14:6-9]

These verses really bring three things to mind -- one OT, one NT, and one why this passage probably captured my imagination and attention in the first place.

OT -- The Shema:  Hear, O Israel:  Yahweh our God, Yahweh is one.  (Deut 6:14)  Zechariah 14:9 really uses similar phrasing.  Why?  To point to when all things WILL be in unity under Him?  When no one shall try to make gods before Him?

NT -- The new heaven and the new earth; Zechariah's words seem to be a foreshadow of what John saw in Rev 21 and 22.

no light (Zech 14:6, Rev 21:23)
neither day nor night (Zech 14:7, Rev 21:25)
living waters (Zech 14:8, Rev 22:1)

"And Yahweh will be king over all the earth."

Isn't that what is surely revealed to John?

What caught me -- It sounds like fantasy, and very good (read:  Tolkien:  Josh Addisson would be pleased) fantasy.

But it isn't.  As we tell the kids at Frontier Club, "This is true!  It's real!  Isn't that exciting?!?"

It's BEAUTIFUL.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anya,

    I love those verses. It is so wonderful to be able to step back and look at the story and think - IT IS REAL! All the great fantasy stories in the world are just a mirror image of the REAL one.

    Yes, Chesterton is one of my heroes. I've read the Man Who Was Thursday, and am about halfway through his Father Brown books! (I LOVE those! They are so clever!) I recently started Orthodoxy, and am also reading the Wild Knight and Other Poems. And of course I have read the Ballad of the White Horse - *glares accusingly.* It is to my great displeasure that I have reason to think you have NOT read such a colossal work. But I haven't read Heretics. Maybe I'll get around to it when my book list thins down a bit.

    Namarie,
    Raora

    ReplyDelete