Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Seeing Him

So, there's this video on youtube that I can't find right now. It was really cool. It was about how the world would look if we had special glasses that let us see what people were really thinking when they say things like, "I'm fine". The point being, of course, that we miss a lot of the needs around us because we don't look carefully enough to see.

Today I've been thinking about what life would be like with a different kind of glasses.

Ones that let us see God's grace.

What would it be like if we could really see how good He is all the time? If we really grasped the depth and extent of His unmerited favor that He saturates us in?

It makes getting to know people worth it. Because you generally have no idea of how they manifest God's glory until you know an awful lot about them, about where they have been, about what they have grown out of.

I was thinking about it today during chapel as I was trying to figure out why I enjoy being with one of my friends so much. And it finally dawned on me: Because every single thing she does shouts to me that God is faithful. Her entire life is a testimony of God bringing beauty out of cosmic brokenness.

How different is that for any of us?

But I don't normally focus on that. Not even in myself. I don't go around thinking, Wow, the fact that I just took a breath is a proclamation of where God has brought me from. (Which it is, especially after I failed at breathing for ten minutes.) I don't remember, This is amazing, and I have no inherent right to be able to worship my Creator freely.

So here's the challenge: Get to know people. Look for the glory. And rejoice in it. Find ways to tell them, I delight at seeing God in you.

1 comment: