Friday, February 18, 2011

Blogging

I'm in a class about CS Lewis (well, and his writings) this semester, which is pretty awesome.

So I was reading for Monday, an essay by Lewis called Christianity and Literature, and came across this quote. It's the kind of thing that challenges me to actually think about what I'm posting, so I thought I'd share it.

He's talking about writing, although it can apply to a lot of things, such as storytelling, as well.

The unbeliever may take his own temperament and experience, just as they happen to stand, and consider them worth communicating simply because they are facts or, worse still, because they are his.


Lewis goes on to make the point that for Christians, we should seek to communicate our experiences in a way that connects to something bigger than ourselves, because our purpose is not to be self-absorbed.

Anyway. Ouch. How often do I blog about, or talk about, something just because it happened to me? It's an uncomfortably large amount of time. Twitter and facebook do nothing to help that human bent toward self-centeredness.


Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth;
keep watch over the door of my lips!
(Psalm 141:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment