Tuesday, September 24, 2013

All the Things!

Most days, there is no shortage of things that I want to do and things that I need to do and things that I ought to do.  Being bored really is not usually a problem.  (I mean... there are more books to read... there are more languages to work on...foods to cook...)

I think that chaotic combination of way too many things is a huge part of what I love about story writing.  It's probably true of any kind of creative crafting -- everything sort of layers together and one thing leads to another and before you know it, you're in over your head.

Recent example:  I decided that characters should have some sort of tattoo indicating what religion they follow.  This led to quite a lot of obvious questions (such as how did I want to divide up the religions and what do the tattoos look like and is there a standard placement for them?) and then some connected questions (what does modesty look like? what is the climate like?) and then some google searches like exercise clothing in Thailand and how is silicone made.

In between those steps there were conversations about psychrometrics (between storywriting and living with an engineer, I get to learn all sorts of things) and design and... you get the picture.

Writing is great because it's an excuse to talk about and research pretty much anything.

(And the picture really is not connected.  It's from a walk I went on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment