Monday, December 16, 2013

Now that's a good start to a shift

"So what do you do when you're not working at Panera?" I asked one of my coworkers this morning.  Most people react to this question as if they're not sure where I'm going with it, but mostly I'm just curious.  I like to know something about the people I'm spending hours with on a daily basis.

"You know," she said, "sleep off working at Panera --" she often is there before I am, even on days when I work opening, "--cook for my family, clean up the house...go to bed.  Sometimes I do stuff with friends.  What about you, what do you do?"

"Cook," I said.  "Read... I'm working on applying to grad schools.  I actually did submit one yesterday, because that was the deadline."

She laughed.  "What are you going to grad school for?"

"Maybe political science, maybe something with languages and literature --"

"Really?" she said, suddenly interested.  "That's what I want to do, linguistics!"

"Really?" I repeated, interested myself.  "My undergraduate was in Biblical languages and cross cultural studies!"

"That's exactly what I want to do!  I want to study Biblical languages and do translation!"

Happy start to the day.  :)

1 comment: