Sunday, March 9, 2014

Reunion!

I think I have also realized that saying goodbye in China doesn't necessarily mean saying goodbye forever. 
[email update from a friend]

It's true.

But it's hard to convince myself it's true.

Still, today I'm opening browsers to double check bus schedules and texting a former teammate.  Tomorrow morning I'm leaving for Chicago to spend a week reunion-ing with people who I studied with in China.  It's kind of shocking.

It's kind of awesome.

We said goodbyes to some of our group in Xiamen, then traveled through Hong Kong and back to LAX together.  But for the most part, we didn't really say goodbye to each other.  After we finally got through customs, we were all split up and had to rush off to catch our flights.  I hadn't really expected us to stay in touch much.  And we haven't all kept in contact.  But this past fall, one of the guys kept persistently texting me and leaving voicemails until we finally got hold of each other.

"We need to do a reunion," he told me, "but I don't know when we'll be able to."  He was deploying after graduation.  Most of us have already graduated and are scattered across America, across the world -- Italy, China, and who knows where else.

"What about spring break?" I asked.

So a random facebook page later, a lot of planning, and a lot of slap-dash-ness later... we have a reunion coming up.  Not everyone will make it.  But some of us will.

And I'm excited.

And I'm amazed at good opportunities that God provides.


No comments:

Post a Comment