Saturday, April 26, 2014

Of Prayers and Providence

On many topics, my prayers are vague.  When it comes to mind, I may ask for God's protection that day.  If it occurs to me, at the end of the day, I may thank Him for keeping me safe.  But unless I'm doing something like wandering around Cleveland at night looking for a bus station, or traveling on roads that are icy and being blizzard-ed upon, I generally don't really think too much about God's providence in regards to my safety.

Yesterday morning, I did.

Yesterday morning I was scheduled to start my shift at Panera at 8 am.  This starting time always leads to me rejoicing, because it means that I can catch a bus at a stop that's quite close to the apartment rather than my normal one, which is a bit of a hike.

A little before 7:20, I headed out of the apartment and went to cross the road to get to the bus stop, and noticed that there was a police car and two civilian cars pulled over there... right in front of my bus stop!  I hope I'm not going to get in trouble for jaywalking, I thought, not sure that I'd have time to walk the entire way down to my normal stop.  I probably should have been wondering a little more what was going on, but if you've been around me when I first wake up, it's fairly impressive that I noticed the police car.

I crossed the road, keeping an eye on traffic and the pulled over cars and the cop, and headed to the shelter to wait for my bus.  Same as I would without all the drama.

And then I noticed (this realization totally took longer than it should have; see my above note about my mental functioning shortly after waking up.  If you've seen the movie Wall-E, I am basically exactly like him) that the shelter looked a little... odd.



For one thing, it wasn't sitting on its foundations.

For another, one of the huge glass panes/walls had been knocked out and was laying on the ground.

The huge industrial urban garbage can next the shelter had been knocked out of its normal spot and was cracked.  I'm not sure what they're made out of, but they look like cement and rocks, and I'd never considered one of them being broken before.

I did a double take, stepped away from the shelter, and looked at the police car and the other car that was still pulled over.

I wasn't in that shelter when the car hit it, I realized, simultaneously shaken and exuberant.

I could have been.  If my shift had started at 7 or 7:30, I would have been there earlier.  I'm not sure exactly when the shelter was hit, but it probably was around the time I would have been there.

And so that is my story.  Nothing spectacular aside from all the drama that I missed.

Yet the fact that I missed it is more than sufficiently spectacular for me.

Tonight, I'm thinking about the Westminster Shorter Catechism's answer to the eleventh question and Psalm 91.

WSC 11:
What are God's works of providence?
God's works of providence are His most holy, wise, and powerful preserving and governing all His creatures and all their actions.

Psalm 91:

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
 I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
    and from the deadly pestilence.
 He will cover you with his pinions,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

You will not fear the terror of the night,

    nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
    nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.
 A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
 You will only look with your eyes
    and see the recompense of the wicked.
 Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place—
    the Most High, who is my refuge—
 no evil shall be allowed to befall you,
    no plague come near your tent.
 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways.
 On their hands they will bear you up,
    lest you strike your foot against a stone.
 You will tread on the lion and the adder;
    the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.
 “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
    I will protect him, because he knows my name.
 When he calls to me, I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble;
    I will rescue him and honor him.
 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.”



2 comments:

  1. "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

    What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Just as it is written,

    “For Your sake we are being put to death all day long;
    We were considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

    But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." -- Romans 8:28-39 (NASB)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! And I like it when I get to see what some of the "good" is, rather than just wondering. :)

      Delete