Friday, June 13, 2014

Proverbs: A Word in Season

So I've passed the time of David's reign and I'm up to Solomon (which, by the way, I think is a pretty awesome name.)  Which means that, mixed in with 1 Kings and 2 Chronicles, I've been getting to read Proverbs.

It feels different to me than any time I've read it before.  Every time that I remember previously reading it, it was great, sure, but the proverbs felt mostly disjointed and... well, wise, but... I don't know.  Something was missing.  There were a few verses that I really loved, but the book as a whole tended to lose my attention.  But this time, it's like a long drink of water on a hot, dry day.

Maybe it's because I've grown up some.  Work a more-or-less 40-hour-a-week "real" job.  Pay more bills.  Whatever the reason is, Proverbs makes a lot more sense to me this time through.  It feels like a timely guide to life about how to deal with friends, coworkers, priorities, and finances.

I don't have any more specific thoughts about Proverbs (I do some mornings when I'm reading at 5:20 waiting for the bus, but that was a long time ago in the scheme of the day...), just a growing gratitude to God for blessing me with this guide to wise living.

To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is! (Proverbs 15:23 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment