Saturday, July 19, 2014

Thoughts about Loving

It was early morning and I was setting up the food line at Panera, listening to a few last songs on my mp3 player as I woke up, before we opened the doors to customers.  Scraps of thoughts floated through my head.

Did I see music in here by a group called Everyone You Love Will Be Happy in the End?  (It's actually "Soon" not "in the End," and an album, not a group.  Oh well.)

That's kind of creepy.

What if it was true though?  What if I really was sure that everyone who I loved would be happy in the end?  Would know and love God?

That would be awesome.

But maybe then I'd just be lazy and be like, cool, well, everything will work out fine.

Or.

Or maybe....

I'd try to love everyone.

To really love them.

And that thought has been haunting me a bit ever since.  Because I love many people, but there are many who I don't really love.

And they are all image-bearers.

And I long to love better.

The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.  Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. [1 Peter 4: 7-8]

1 comment: