Monday, December 29, 2008

Faithfulness

Faithfulness.  The Bible talks a lot about that.  In Zechariah 3, the Lord says to Joshua, "If you will walk in my ways and keep my charge, then you shall rule my house and have charge of my courts, and I will give you the right of access among those who are standing here" (Zech 3:7).

Revelation 13 is about war, again, and it sounds rather grim.  In fact, it sounds downright frightening.  Not the news that I want to hear at all.  "Also it was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them" (Rev 13:7a).  And to conquer them?  What then?  Is David*Crowder's triumphant song "We Win!" nothing more than a happy song?

But Revelation doesn't end there.  Authority is given to the beast -- over "everyone whose name has NOT been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb that was slain" (Rev 13:8).  Not authority over those whose names ARE written in His book of life.  However, the prophetic foretelling of captivity and death by sword holds me to reality.  Just because the enemy has not ultimate authority doesn't mean that I -- and other Christians -- won't suffer and die.

"Here," says John, "is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints" (Rev 13:10).  A similar call is given in Revelation 14:12.  Do not worship idols.  Keep the faith.  (Isn't all of the Bible about that?  The worship which is due to God -- ONLY?)  "You shall have no other gods before me" (Exodus 20:3).  "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength" (Mark 12:30).)

Last night I read the first good reason for getting a tattoo that I remember ever reading.  Something which indelibly marks you as a follower of Christ.  So that, under persecution, you could not deny Him even if you wanted to -- even if your flesh was afraid, it would itself bear witness to what your spirit believes. 

I do not have a tattoo.  But I am Yours.  Because my name is written in indelible ink in Your book.  

[12.22.08]

No comments:

Post a Comment