Friday, December 26, 2008

The Telos of Dangerous Crusader

I'm not exactly sure what I want this blog to be for.

Well, wait.  I know what I want it to be for (that's what the title of the blog is about).  I'm just not sure how to best accomplish that purpose.  

The telos (Greek for end, purpose)

The title of this blog -- Dangerous Crusader -- is taken from Derek Webb's song Nobody Loves Me.

i can always tell a liar
and i always know a thief
i know them like my family
because brother i’m the chief
i’m a dangerous crusader
because i need to tell the truth

so i’m turning over tables
in my own living room

then i might nail indictments up
on every door in town
because it’s not right or safe to let my conscience down
so i don’t care if...


chorus
nobody loves me, nobody loves me
nobody loves me but you

the truth is never sexy
so it’s not an easy sell
you can dress her like the culture
but she’ll shock ‘em just as well

because she don’t need an apology for being who she is
and she don’t need your help making enemies
so i don’t care if...

chorus
i’ll do whatever it takes to squeeze us into this wedding gown
i’ll say the words that rattle your nerves
words like sin and faith alone


The tag-line for this blog is taken from Sheldon Vanauken's haunting poem The Sword.  The middle stanza reads,

No omen warned me when Mark led me near
The yelling street that I should be implored
By God to wear my girlhood like a sword
So edged with mercy men would freeze in fear.

I have received an extremely good education.  I've been blessed with being brought up in the church.  And much is expected of those to whom much is given.  So this blog is a one of my many ventures to use that sword.  To be a dangerous crusader in telling the truth.  And ultimately, to bring God glory.

2 comments:

  1. Welome to Blogger! It's nice to see you here...wow, yesterday I was counting up how many internet functions and applications you and I use to communicate with each other. It's a lot:)

    I love the Vanauken poem - "so edged with mercy men would freeze in fear." That's poetry.

    I am going to have to check out Derek Webb. I'd have never believed last year that anyone could ever get me to like the Newsboys' music - but you did :)

    Seize The Day!
    -StrongJoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely poetry Anya.I really and i mean really enjoy poetry.I love the hole motion of this poem.

    Hailey

    ReplyDelete